Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Opening Doors?

Here I am a man who a week ago had everything going his way. Sure I had the occasional bump in the road; but for the most part everything was running smooth. There were things in my own life that I was praying about but they were not urgent. Just upcoming some day. Well all of that changed. Life turned on a dime and I hit a huge pothole. Well the things I was praying about just sort of answered themselves. Of course without any input or consultation on my behalf.

It has been said that when God closes one door he will always open another. That phrase has jumped off my own lips a time or two toward other people; but for my ears it has become to difficult to hear. I do not doubt that another door will some day open; but what about the time you spend trapped feeling claustrophobic. Are 2 doors ever opened at the same exact time? Well imagine the one door closing, in my case closing very fast. Now, imagine another door slowly opening, but not immediately after the other one closes. See now you have that moment that may in fact be brief; but feels like eternity where all the doors are closed and the room seems to be closing in on you. For that moment words of encouragement can't seem to find their way in and optimism just don't cut it.

Well I now write this on the backside of the "unopened" door and can truly say that God is faithful and His timing is perfect. I have learned that "emergencies and urgency's" seem to occur when my needs are not met and when things to follow my schedule or own planning. So during my closed door moments I began to realize how selfish and demanding I had become toward God. Basically, exposing that I had not relinquished "full control" to God.

Then I begin thinking about how patient and loving my heavenly father is. Much more than I, because the minute things didn't go my way I was ready to give up, throw in the towel and look for the emergency exits. Not Him, see God allows us to learn things on our own. The learning curve is often steep and He has this amazing thing called "Grace" to make sure we come through everything just fine "as He had already planned".


No comments: